Erskine Bench and Fountain Restoration
Fulton County
2014 – Present


As a member of the Erskine Fountain Fund, the Atlanta Preservation Center is currently partnering with M.H. Mitchell, the Grant Park Conservency, the Grant Park Neighborhood Association and local citizens in an effort to restore and preserve this monument.

On April 18th, 2015, the APC hosted the inagural fundraiser for the Erskine Fountain Fund at the L.P. Grant Mansion. The night was a great success with over 140 people in attendance and $13,788 raisied for the fountain's restoration.






Charlton County
Mutual Coordination Effort to Replace all
Historic Marker Posts
june



Georgia Historic Marker Post Replacement Program
Various: Cities / Towns
Various Counties within Georgia
2012 – Present


M.H. Mitchell, Inc. and the State of Georgia are collaborating to replace Historic Marker posts with the new state-provided posts. As a result of a mutual desire to do this, M.H. Mitchell, Inc. and the state of Georgia are confident that the information provided on these markers will be here for decades to come.

Complete Listing of Historical Georgia Markers


Latitude 34 North Historical Markers

  State Letter of Permission for M.H.Mitchell, Inc.

Charlton County
All Historic Markers in this county are being replaced with new posts by coordination of the local government. Special thanks to Mr. Wade E. Johnson / County Commissioner.







Begin / Current
 
The Site of Leo and Lucille Frank’s Home
Atlanta, GA
Fulton County
2010 – Present


The site of
Leo and Lucille Frank residence
(former) 68 East Georgia Avenue

On the 26th of April, 1913
Leo M. Frank was arrested for the murder of
Mary Phagan.

The trial, July 28-August 26, 1913, and lynching, August
16/17, 1915, would represent the only known lynching
of a Jew in United States history.

On March 11, 1986, the Georgia Board of Pardons and Paroles
issued a posthumous pardon to Leo M. Frank,
based on the state’s failure to protect him while in custody;
it did not absolve him of the crime of murder.

This plaque is here to remind the future of the past,
to ensure that truth is history's benchmark,
and to the memory of all that perished from this event.







Begin
Summer 2012
summer
   
Fall 2012


Glennville Baptist Cemetery
Glennville, Alabama
Russell County
2012-Present


Controversy in Old Barbour County: The Lore-Blake Murder Case – By Douglas Clare Purcell / April - 1986

Newspaper Article and Notes pertaining to the Murder of Henry Blake











Col. George Washington Lee (1831-1879)
Myrtle Hill Cemetery
Rome, GA
Floyd County
2012


Col. George Washington Lee (1831-1879) on November 18, 1864 engineered the train carrying the State Archives of Georgia safely from Milledgeville to Augusta and kept them from Federal capture.

Saving the South from Itself: George W. Lee and Internal Conflict in Civil War Atlanta
- by, Robert Scott Davis



Begin - 2011

Begin - 2012

 
Tree Removal - 2012


Playground Removal - 2012
 
Boulevard Side of Fort Walker- 2012


Wooden Gate Removal - 2012
 

Fort Walker Restoration
Atlanta, Georgia
Fulton County
2011 - Present


After Grant Park was established in the 1880s, a granite pedestal, a collection of four cannon, and two bronze lions commemorated the site of the fort. After years of vandalism by park visitors, the cannon were removed in the late 1980s, and one was stolen. The pair of bronze lions also went missing. Today, only a state historic marker remains. It reads:

Southeastern salient of Atlanta's inner line of fortifications erected during the Summer & Fall of 1863. The line consisted of a cordon of redoubts on hills connected by rifle pits encircling the city, aggregating some 10.5 miles of earthworks designed & supervised by Col. L. P. Grant, pioneer citizen, construction engineer & railroad builder of Atlanta.

After 148 years, it is one of a few remnants of a line that withstood the quartering steel & climbing fire of Federal armies forty-two days -- evacuated only when the remaining R.R. was cut. The fort was named for Maj. General W.H.T. Walker, killed in the Battle of Atlanta.

Atlanta / Boulevard Entrance - Ongoing Improvements

Georgia 1956 Historic Marker Post Replacement


Organizations / Individuals who have assisted:


District 1 Atlanta (Sheryl Bennett)

Viridis Garden Designs, INC.





Alabama Dept. of Archives
Photos from 1917-1920
glennvillejump

Begin
Begin
 
2011
2012

2012 Monument Repair and Daffodil Bulb Planting
june



Glennville Methodist Cemetery
Glennville, Alabama
Russell County
2007-Present

Excerpt from The Alabama Review, October 1958

Alabama Historic Cemetery Register

2012 AHC Grant Approval and Alabama Historical Cemetery Approval from the Alabama Historical Commission

Dr. William Augustus Mitchell / Glennville Resident History


Historic American Buildings Survey/Historic American Engineering Records:

Glennville, Russell County, Alabama



Organizations / Individuals who have assisted:


Special recognition to the Eufaula, Rotary Club for the District Simplified Grant - 2011



"Waxhaw Massacre"
Waxhaw Region / 2011
(S.C./N.C.)
waxhaw

Lieutenant Colonel
Banastre Tarleton
tarleton


Antebellum Research and Preservation
Sparta, Georgia
Hancock County
2007-Present

History: This antebellum community contains a large number of architecturally significant buildings. Before the Civil War, Hancock County was a leading cotton producer, and the wealth created by the plantation system is evident in Sparta, its county seat. By 1803 Sparta was one of only five towns in the state to have a newspaper, and the town had begun a substantial library.

Threat: Today, vacancy and neglect of many historic resources are hindering the economic revitalization of the small town. The Sparta-Hancock Historical Society is also active, and the City of Sparta has created a historic district commission. However the City has not yet designated a historic district for the commission to administer.

Sparta Hancock Historical Society

"Jean Toomer's Sparta - by Barbara Foley - Document

Historic Sparta Photographs

Historic American Buildings Survey/Historic American Engineering Records:

Various Historic Buildings and Homes in Sparta, Hancock, GA

Notable Citizen of Sparta/Hancock County - General Henry Mitchell:

Information from Friends of Hancock County, Georgia Cemeteries


Information about the Waxhaw Massacre








47th Fighter Squadron
University of Georgia
Athens, GA
Clarke County
2007-Present


The 47th Fighter Squadron was activated on 1 December 1940, as the 47th Pursuit Squadron, one of three squadrons assigned to the 15th Pursuit Group, Wheeler Field, territory of Hawaii. The squadron also flew missions from Hawaiian stations of Bellows, Haleiwa and Mokuleia Fields, as well as Barking Sands.

The 47th Pursuit Squadron participated in numerous campaigns from 1940 to 1945, flying P-10, P-26, P-36, P-47, and P-51 aircraft. The squadron was credited with shooting down eight Japanese aircraft on 7 December 1941, before being inactivated on 15 October 1946, at Wheeler Field.


47th Fighter Squadron History

Inventory of the M.H. Mitchell, Inc. 47th Infantry Division Collection at the Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library at UGA






Previous Hargrett Library
Collection - 2011
 
University of Georgia Special Collections Library - 2012
 

94th Infantry Division
University of Georgia
Athens, GA
Clarke County
2007-Present

M.H. Mitchell, Inc. and the Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library at the University of Georgia are working together to create a permanent collection of the archives of the 94th Infantry Division.

M.H. Mitchell, Inc. has undertaken the task of collecting the documents, letters, diaries, histories, photographs and all the information available of the members of the 94th Infantry Division. The intent is to provide the largest collection of a W.W.II division where these materials can be viewed, read, researched and appreciated in perpetuity for those who are dedicated to history which includes the state of Georgia.

Click here to read a note from Chuck Barber at the Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library at the University of Georgia.

The images shown are current images of the collection thus far. The most recent donation (5/December/2009) has yet to catalogued and sorted. This collection has doubled since last year and the coming year looks as equally promising. Your support has made this possible.

Please search for more information on: worldcat.org and
Worldcat MHM Collection

History of the 94th Infantry Division


2011 Society of Georgia Archivists President's Award


Inventory of the M.H. Mitchell, Inc. 94th Infantry Division Collection at the Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library at UGA

2015 Ted Barris Discussion at the Atlanta Preservation Center







Begin
 
Summer 2011
Fall 2011

 
Tremendous Contribution by Family Members/Community is Recognized and Appreciated

Winter 2012
Summer 2012
 



 

Antebellum Grave Restoration
Research and Preservation
Clinton, GA
Jones County
2004 - Present

Established in 1807, the community of Clinton served as an economic and cultural center for the Georgia frontier. Buildings date from 1808-1835 and together provide a rare example of a largely intact Georgia rural frontier village that combines commercial and residential structures.

William Lamar Cawthon, Jr. wrote in his thesis, Clinton: County Seat of the Georgia Frontier, 1808-1821, about Clinton, Georgia:

“ Few Georgians are aware of Clinton, even though early in the nineteenth century it was one of the chief towns of the state. Clinton was the county seat of Jones County, which until 1821 was on the western border of Georgia’s settlements. To this new territory, ceded by the Creek Indians in 1805, came large numbers of people, attracted by the rich soil and healthy climate. In Clinton’s heyday Jones County was apart of Georgia’s leading section, the upcountry plantation belt, lying above the fall line. In 1820 Jones County was the states second most populous, and Clinton essentially as large as any town of the state other than old centers of Savannah and Augusta, and the capital, Milledgeville. Large areas of the state remained in the hands of the Creek and Cherokee Indians. Atlanta did not even exist.

Clinton remained one of Georgia’s leading towns until the 1830s, when the westward migration and competition from nearby Macon on the fall line of the Ocmulgee River first seriously affected Clinton’s vitality. A decline began which became so severe that by 1888 only one store was left. A railroad had bypassed the town in the 1870’s, and in 1905 the citizens of the county voted overwhelmingly to move the county seat to nearby Gray, on the railroad.

The demise of Clinton as a commercial center and its slow deterioration even as a residential community have left it with a unique quality in the late twentieth century. To an unusual degree it maintains the ambience of an early nineteenth century American town. The early houses set on the original streets in a setting of open land form a unique Georgia landscape. The Old Clinton Historical District was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1975 and evaluated by the Historic Preservation Section of the Georgia Department of Natural Resources as having national significance.”
 


Elizabeth Slatter Bunkley/Billingslea/Lowther
- Document

Additional Clinton / Jones County - GA Information 1

Additional Clinton / Jones County - GA Information 2

Historic Clinton Photographs

Historic American Buildings Survey/Historic American Engineering Records:


Various Historic Buildings and Homes in Clinton, Jones, GA







 
1861 U. S. Springfield Rifle
Cartersville, GA
Bartow County
2005


Donated by M.H. Mitchell, Inc. to The Bartow History Center

Bartow History Museum




The Southeastern Railway Museum
Duluth, GA
Gwinnett County
2004 - 2006


The Southeastern Railway Museum has a 1944 WWII Troop Kitchen Car that M.H. Mitchell, Inc. will assist turning into an interactive museum. Using the experience of 94th Infantry Division, we hope to illustrate the importance of these cars involvement in the war effort. M.H. Mitchell, Inc. will assist with the costs of restoration and conservation of this car, and also use graphics to help illustrate the ways they were used during the war. The objective is to create a situation that assists learning and understanding, while allowing the viewer to interact through sight, touch, and thought. This project is set to begin March of 2005 and to be completed by February 2006.


The Southeastern Railway Museum







 
Mountain City Fire Brigade No. 2
Rome, GA
Floyd County
2004


In 2004, M.H. Mitchell, Inc. became aware of a situation that existed in Rome, Georgia. The keystones from one of Rome's Original Volunteer Fire Departments (Mountain City No.2 Fire Brigade) were lying next to the Oostanaula River at Ridge Ferry Park. We contacted the appropriate departments and began to organize their removal.

M.H. Mitchell, Inc. would like to thank the Office of Public Works and the Rome City Fire Department for the support they provided to reclaim these stones. (Ironically fire hoses were used to actually remove the stones from the ground.) The keystones are now safely stored at the Fire Department Training Facility in Rome. They are to be used in a memorial for the firefighters who have served Rome and Floyd County. They will be a part of something honorable and meaningful.



© 2017 M.H. MITCHELL, INC. | ALL RIGHTS RESERVED