University of Georgia
The 47th Fighter Squadron was activated on 1 December 1940, as the 47th Pursuit Squadron, one of three squadrons assigned to the 15th Pursuit Group, Wheeler Field, territory of Hawaii. The squadron also flew missions from Hawaiian stations of Bellows, Haleiwa and Mokuleia Fields, as well as Barking Sands.
The 47th Pursuit Squadron participated in numerous campaigns from 1940 to 1945, flying P-10, P-26, P-36, P-47, and P-51 aircraft. The squadron was credited with shooting down eight Japanese aircraft on 7 December 1941, before being inactivated on 15 October 1946, at Wheeler Field.
47th Fighter Squadron History
Inventory of the M.H. Mitchell, Inc. 47th Infantry Division Collection at the Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library at UGA
Eufaulian Made Ultimate Sacrifice - July 15, 2005 Article in The Eufaula Tribune