Glennville, Alabama

 

 

Restoration of Cemeteries
Russell County
2007-Present


Glennville was the first permanent community in what is today Russell County. It was founded in 1835, after the Muscogee removal, by Methodist preacher James Elizabeth Glenn. The town quickly developed into an economic and cultural center of East Alabama. In addition to the Methodist Church, the community was home to Male and Female Academies and the Weyman School for Girls, all of which were renowned throughout the South for their classical curricula. The town also had a post office, stores, a Masonic Lodge, and an inn. The town incorporated in 1854, seeking to attract a rail line, but the line was opposed by many planters in the community. With railroad bypassing Glennville and diminished power and influence of farmers after the Civil War, the town gradually faded.

Excerpt from The Alabama Review, October 1958

Historic American Buildings Survey/Historic American Engineering Records:
Glennville, Russell County, Alabama

Abandoned town once known as 'Athens of the South' - March 13, 2013 Article in The Eufaula Tribune

Controversy in Old Barbour County: The Lore-Blake Murder Case – By Douglas Clare Purcell / April - 1986 - Coming Soon

Newspaper Article and Notes pertaining to the Murder of Henry Blake

Dr. William Augustus Mitchell / Glennville Resident History

Alabama Historic Cemetery Register

2012 AHC Grant Approval and Alabama Historical Cemetery Approval from the Alabama Historical Commission

Organizations / Individuals who have assisted:
Special recognition to the Eufaula, Rotary Club for the District Simplified Grant - 2011